Friday, June 14, 2024

Pumice stones aren't just for feet


There's something about January that makes me want to clean drawers and cabinets... I'm not sure what it is. Last year Bronwyn and I spent a Saturday reorganizing the baking and coffee cabinets and they are STILL in great order. The boys were out again for a day - so the girls... time to reorganize something or clean! the spice drawer was our first task - it's now in a much better place. She cleaned off the fridge and cleaned it - since recently we had to clean the entire thing out... so now the outside looks like the inside, clean, neat, and orderly. I worked on the stove/oven. I saw this woman on Instagram use a pumice stone to clean her oven so I ordered a set. Oh.my.word. I first did the glass on the oven door - it looks brand new - amazing. Since I knew I needed to use the oven for ribs, I didn't want to be stuck in the middle, I moved on to the stovetop burners. The first burner took an hour... the following I soaked first, then used a putty knife to scrap off... the gunk... oh my word... 10 years of GROSS. Once the most of it was scrapped off, the pumice worked better. When I say it shines now... it shines... Andy came home and there was no faking being impressed... it's shockingly clean! I hesitantly made this mac and cheese for dinner with ribs. I did not want to mess up my nice clean stove top. I did make this a little early. If I'd served it right away - like it says, it wouldn't have gotten gloppy, at least I don't think so - but it was gloppy... I let it sit for 15 minutes while our cornbread baked. To be honest our kids love the blue box... but this was good. I did add some seasoning... like garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoning salt too. All to taste. I thought it was good and will certainly eat the left overs!

Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese
1 pound shell pasta
2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
1 cup sharp grated cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions
Boil the pasta according to the package directions.
While the pasta is boiling, whisk both cheeses, evaporated milk, eggs, and salt together in a large sauce pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Continue cooking and stirring until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
When the pasta is done cooking, reserve one cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta.
Add the drained pasta to the cheese mixture and stir to coat the pasta completely. Add in pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency you desire. I usually end up using 3- 4 tablespoons of pasta water.
Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10