Friday, October 4, 2024

I mean if you enjoy licking feet....

I may have an unpopular opinion... Asiago cheese smells like smelly feet. And trust me I know what smelly feet smell like... I have a nine year old boy... oh.my. What I hadn't expected was after I shredded the cheese, Andy walked in the house wondering if he'd stepped in dog poop... so apparently Asiago cheese smells like more than one bad thing. Anyway... Want to make some bread that smells like feet and dog poop! Here's your recipe. Wow do I know how to sell it or what?!
I had gotten a wedge of this cheese to make something else and had a fair amount left so I went looking for a recipe. At first I thought I'd make bagels but instead this recipe looked easy enough and with a pasta dish planned for dinner - it was a go. Here was my issue - timing... it was not working in my favor this week. It's the end of the school year and all the things are happening, add some unexpected travel, packing, our anniversary, a pie - ahhh! So many things. So I made the dough the night before and let it do the first rise. Then formed the loaves and into the fridge for 24 hours for the in fridge rise. Andy helped and took it out early for me and let it come to temp and finish it's rise in the oven with the light on, then shredded more stinky cheese to put on top and baked up beautifully. I wish more bakers had more recipes that were meant for people with NOT three hours to make a simple loaf of bread on a week night - but until then I'll keep trying my little hacks and making them work.
Andy loved this bread and can't wait to toast more slices. The kids and I were... fine with it. I tried it. It wasn't the best thing I've ever had - but if you like licking feet? Here you go!

Asiago Bread
3 1/4 cups bread flour
2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/4 cups 2% milk
2 tablespoons salted butter
1 1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese divided
EGG WASH:
1 large egg
1 tablespoon warm water

In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside. 3 ¼ cups bread flour*, 1 package instant yeast**, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Put the milk and in a microwave safe bowl. Heat the milk to 120-130ºF so that the butter starts melting. Make sure the temperature is just right so that it is warm enough to activate the yeast, but not kill it. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture and mix on low speed using the paddle attachment until smooth. Add in 1 ¼ cups shredded cheese and mix just until combined. 1 ¼ cups 2% milk, 2 tablespoons salted butter, 1 ½ cups shredded Asiago cheese Knead in the stand mixer with the dough hook for 5 minutes. It should still be a sticky dough, slightly sticking to the bottom of the bowl as it kneads.
Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Add the bread dough to the bowl, then turn the dough over so the cooking spray coats both sides of the dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel and let the dough rise in a warm place until it is nearly double (30-45 minutes).
After the dough is doubled, punch it down and use a serrated knife or dough cutter to divide the dough in two. Shape each piece of dough into a loaf. Place the loaves on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Cover the loaves with plastic wrap or a clean towel and allow them to rise again for 20-30 minutes. The loaves may not rise much, but that’s ok. They’ll spring up in the oven.
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl. Brush the tops of the loaves with the egg wash, then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. 1 large egg, 1 tablespoon warm water
Bake for 30-35 minutes until lightly golden brown. The internal temperature of the loaf should be 190ºF.
Allow the loaf to cool, then slice and serve. It’s also delicious served the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10