Friday, October 21, 2022

Dutch Babies... not real babies.... in the oven

When I told Andy I wanted to try making a Dutch baby he said "don't we already have two of those?" Well sure but let's make one in the oven... Oh we don't want another!! That's the truth. I remember going out to breakfast on Saturday with my mom and her work friends to a pancake house known for their Dutch Babies. They'd bring them out of the kitchen and they were all puffed and perfect coated in powdered sugar. Me? I usually got a plate full of strawberries with powdered sugar. This was fun to make on a Saturday morning. My kids - meh... they weren't so sure, they rarely are... but Andy and I really liked this simple with just the powdered sugar on top.
But I promise... no more Dutch babies in the oven... at least not real ones... besides I'm a bit Irish too so they aren't all Dutch.

Apple Dutch Baby

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1 large sweet apple such as Honey Crisp, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup whole or 2% milk
1/2 cup (64 grams) all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Confectioners sugar for dusting

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
Melt butter in a 9-inch oven-safe skillet over moderate heat, then transfer 2 tablespoons to a blender or food processor. Add apple wedges to skillet and cook, turning over once, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. (They don’t need to caramelize, just soften.)
While apple is cooking, add milk, flour, eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt to butter in blender and blend until smooth. (Do do this step — I didn’t the first time around and the batter was really lumpy.)
Pour batter over apple and transfer skillet to oven. Bake until pancake is puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10