Tuesday, June 25, 2024

When your stove is clean and it's too cold to grill - broil.

So as of this writing, typing, whatever, we are in the deep freeze. I mean even our pipes are freezing which isn't great - if you ask us... but hey... whatever. Pork Chops were on the plan and since I menu plan a few months out, I figured grilling would be OK. Somehow the grill and the grill master said NOPE. Not going to grill when it's nothing out - zero degrees and a windchill of freeze your butt off. So - pivot... something else. I'd just watched Five Marys brine her pork chops so I figured I'd start there. Bunch of salt and cold water done. I just cleaned my stove top and oven and I'm not interested in frying anything right now. Let's keep it clean for as long as we can. We do have a broiler in our oven - let’s give that a whirl. I searched online for how to do that and ran across this rub - looks doable! I used my MEATER+ thermometer because I honestly suck at cooking meat. This tool is amazing. It syncs with your phone and tells you how to cook and when to pull them, how long to rest etc. I haven't had bad meat that I've cooked with this since I started using it. I mean sure I forget sometimes and kill things, but hey... use the tools! These chops were great. Andy thought too salty, but everyone else enjoyed them. The rub was easy and I had everything in the house - I used the back of the measuring spoon to rub it in, I'm not a fan of touching raw meat... so spoon to the rescue. Easy dinner - easy clean up and no one had to freeze their butt of. Wins ALL around!

Broiled Pork Chops

4 bone-in pork chops 3/4 to 1 inch thick
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Place oven rack in upper third position. Preheat oven to broiler setting (usually 500 degrees F).
Line a sheet pan with foil and place an oven safe cooling rack on top of the foil.
Mix together the dry rub ingredients - brown sugar through garlic powder. Evenly sprinkle the rub on both sides of the pork chops and rub it into the pork.
Place the pork on the prepared sheet pan (on top of the cooling rack).
Cook the pork, flipping once halfway through cooking time. The size of the pork chops will determine how long you cook them.
Smaller chops should take 4-5 minutes per side, 3/4 inch chops should take 7-8 minutes per side, 1 inch or more chops should take 8-10 minutes per side.
Remove the pork from the oven once the center of each pork chop reaches 145 degrees F. Allow the pork chops to rest for 3 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10