Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Why not make an easier meal harder?

I've been going to make these tacos for a long time. They kept getting pushed back and I didn't have chicken. You know what we do have? Ground beef - all the ground beef from Jeffrey... So I decided to make them with ground beef and skip the green chilies since my kids aren't super fans, well... I am not a fan and I'm just assuming they wouldn't be either. I made the filling on the weekend so it would be a little easier. I did make fresh pico because that's always delicious. These were a hit and everyone ate their fill. I used flour tortillas because that's what I got. Great reason right? These are a harder way to make tacos - let's be honest.. but I enjoyed them. I don't like the hard shells, they poke your mouth in bad ways... too crunchy... these were crunchy in the right ways... this sounds dumb.... I'll stop now. Good tacos - make with changes. Good tacos.

Crispy Baked Chicken Tacos
2 ½ tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 pound ground chicken
½ medium sweet onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
8 flour or corn tortillas, warmed
FOR SERVING
Pico de gallo
Guacamole
Shredded lettuce
Lime wedges

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add ground chicken, onion and garlic, and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Stir in green chiles, chili powder, paprika, oregano and cumin until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1 cup cheese until well combined.
Working one at a time, spread chicken mixture on half of the tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon cheese, folding over to seal. Repeat with remaining tortillas to make 8 tacos.
Place tacos in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil.
Place into oven and bake until toasted and crispy, about 12-15 minutes.
Serve immediately with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10