Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bar-B-Que – Dekker Style

Growing up as we ate BBQ. Bar-B-Que… that’s what we called it. We had BBQ day at school – once a month, one of the very few lunches we could buy. My mom made it for dinner. We even had it at family functions. Much to my shock and amazement – as an adult I found out this was not really Bar-B-Que…. It was something called Sloppy Joes! Then my husband called it Spanish Hamburger. What?! All these years I’ve been led astray! I guess in my close knit Dutch upbringing the closest thing to Bar-B-Que was using BBQ Sauce when cooking the ground beef? Or maybe… Oh I have no idea. Whatever you call this – it’s good. I still call it BBQ… it’s ingrained in my very being! And my mom still says it… Moms are always right – aren’t they? :)
So enjoy this one… I had great hopes of showing it on a bun… we didn’t have buns… we had bread… and I was too hungry and forgot… oops.
Also – please note the meat wrapper, that’s right! Raatjes Ground Beef! Well, um, sure. We like to call him Albert – he’s a member of the family. He’s the Raatjes family cow my in-laws bought. Well, they bought part of them and we got part of him, the eating part. He’s good eating too!

Bar-B-Que – Dekker Style
What you need!
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onions chopped
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup Open Pit Barbecue Sauce
1-2 tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
1 tbsp. Vinegar

Make it!
Brown ground beef and onion. Drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer ½ hour. Serve on buns or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10