Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Purple Shrimp Cheddar Bread

So I have this reputation. When people come over they expect something home baked. Eek! Well we had friends over not too long ago. Andy wanted to make fried chicken – the friends were bringing the sides and the dessert – whatever was I to do? Cheddar Bread – Oh yeah.
This recipe claimed to be a knock off of Red Lobster’s cheddar biscuits. I’d love to tell you that it’s an exact replica… but since I’ve been to Red Lobster a whole once in my life and at the time I didn’t realize I was supposed to be having and out of body experience with the biscuits – I have no idea if they are similar. What I do know is this – this is some good bread. :) We’ll call it Purple Shrimp Cheddar Bread – as to not confuse it with that other crustacean.
I had my worries – I melted the butter and in it went with the milk – yeah – guess what happened there? Chunky butter. Once it was all mixed together and baked – no big deal.

Cheddar Bread

What you need!
3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup sour cream
3 Tablespoons of butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten

Make it!

Heat oven to 350.
Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with oil.
In a bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients.
Carefully stir in cheese cubes until covered in flour mixture. This will help prevent your cheese sinking to the bottom of your loaf of bread.
In a different bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
Fold the wet mixture into the flour and cheese mixture.
Stir until just combined. Do not over stir. Your masterpiece will turn out like a giant hockey puck.
Pour and spread the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Allow to cool for one hour before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10