Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Layers of Healthy Awesomeness

My mom is a great cook – she’ll tell you she hates cooking – but she really is good at it.
She’s been making this lasagna as long as I can remember and for a many people as I can remember. Most people who have been to her house for dinner have had the awesome lasagna… and it’s healthy! No really! It is! It originated from a Weight Watchers book many years ago – but it’s had its variations here and there. Even me – I like mine really saucy so I tweaked it too.
I make a less layered version for freezer meals too – makes for an awesome way to have a hot homemade meal on a weeknight – without all the work. This one I made an entire recipe in one large pan. I refrigerated it overnight, then the next night I threw it in the freezer. The following morning before work I stuck it in my oven – set the time and prayed it would thaw, not break my dish, and the oven would start. It all worked out and we had hot tasty lasagna for dinner. Love being able to have company over on Friday nights – especially with tricks like this.

Turkey Lasagna
What you need!
3 cups Mozzarella Cheese
Group #1
1 lb ground sweet turkey sausage
1 lrg onion
3 14 oz can diced tomatoes
2 6 oz.tomato paste
1 cup water
1 tbls sugar
2 tbls parsley
1 tbls basil
Group #2
2 2/3 cups cottage cheese
4 oz Parmesan cheese
1 tbls parsley
1 tsp oregano

Make it!
Brown and Simmer Group #1. Mix Group #2. In a 9 x 13 pan layer #1, Lasagna Noodles, #2, Lasagna Noodles #1, Lasagna Noodles, #2, Lasagna Noodles #1. Top with Mozzarella Cheese. Bake covered at 350 for 1 hour. Uncovered for the last 15 min. Set 10 - 15 min before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10