Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lukewarm Ice Bath

Just when you think you’ve done a recipe wrong, it comes out amazingly well – and one with yeast. I know – shocker.
This recipe was supposed to be a copycat of the Texas Roadhouse Rolls. I guess if I had made them smaller and made some cinnamon butter maybe… but no one really noticed since they were too busy telling me how awesome these rolls were. I like when that happens when I’m so apprehensive about a recipe.
The lukewarm milk? Yeah… I made it lukewarm in an ice bath since I must have been dreaming when I read the recipe first. Although – in hindsight – that was a stupid oversight – but hey, I’m pregnant – I can blame all sorts of strange thoughts on this kid…
This dough turned out really wet when it first came out of the mixer from kneading. I stuck it in the oiled bowl and hoped for the best – well… it turned out poofy and wonderful. The dough was amazingly easy to work with. So if you are afraid of yeast – give this recipe a shot.

Roadhouse Rolls
What you need!
4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
3 Tbl. of melted butter, slightly cooled
1/2 c. sugar
2 quarts all purpose flour (7-8 cups)
2 whole eggs
2 tsp. salt

Make it!
Dissolve yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar. Add yeast, milk, sugar and enough flour to make a medium batter. Beat thoroughly. Let stand until light and foamy. Add melted butter, eggs and salt. Beat well.

Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto counter and let dough rest. Meanwhile, grease a large bowl. Knead dough in a mixer with a dough hook until smooth and satiny and put in greased bowl; turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down. Turn out onto a floured board. Divide into portions for shaping; let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough into desired forms. Place on greased baking sheets. Let rise until doubled.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Baste immediately with butter. Yield: 5 to 6 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10