Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How do you bake a salad?

You want me to bring a salad to a baby shower? You know I bake right? I don’t make… salads. What kind of salad? Oh… a green one. Oh… goodie.
Sure – you are saying – green salad – dump a bag of lettuce in – grab some dressings done. But which dressings? That’s usually the part that gets me. What do people like? I know I don’t want a million dressings in my fridge that only get used once an eon. So… this is what I found.
People have since found out that I’m a much better baker than I am a cook – but this salad? It’s a winner. Each time we have it – I’m reminded how much I love red wine vinegar and garlic.
I try to make the dressing the night before – in a canning jar. Yep… canning jar. I like the seal that the used lids make with the jar so I can keep on shaking it and not worry that some might find its way out of the jar. Tweak it how you’d like – but this is how we like it.

Salad with Vinaigrette Recipe
What you need!
5 cups mixed salad greens
1 small tomato, cut into wedges
1 cup sliced cucumber
1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Make it!
In a salad bowl, toss the greens, tomato, cucumber and onion. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake well. Drizzle dressing over salad just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10