Tuesday, June 19, 2012

You had me at "Oreo Crust"...

As I was making this ice cream cake – I remembered how my Uncle Art always ate ice cream (and maybe still does).  If I spent the night at my uncle and aunt’s I remembered he’d have Spumoni Ice cream – maybe every night?  Maybe just the nights I was there – I’m not sure.  Anyway… he’d take the box apart and slice off a piece of ice cream like you would a piece of cake.  I always thought that was weird.  I always thought I wanted some of that ice cream too until I found out Spumoni is NOT Neapolitan ice cream.   Not sure WHY I thought those were the same thing… they are not.
Why did making this cake remind me of this?  Well, as I was scooping and slicing the ice cream out of the container and layering on top of the Oreo crust, I realized if I had sliced the ice cream it would have made the job much neater and more orderly… what’s a little mushed ice cream between fingers?  Right?
This cake is oddly called a cake – but not sure why.  It’s in a 9 x 13 cake pan… but there is no baking, there is not flour, no frosting.  Just a crust, ice cream, hot fudge and cool whip.  But honestly?  What could taste better on a hot summer day?  Enjoy this one… just don’t travel with it… it may not fair to well.

Mint Ice Cream Dessert
What you need!
35 Oreo cookies
1/2 cup melted butter/margarine
1/2 gallon chocolate mint ice cream
10-12 oz chocolate fudge topping
9 oz Cool whip

Make it!
Crush 30 Oreo cookies and mix with melted margarine.  Spread on bottom of 9x13 pan and pat down to make crust.  Put in freezer for 20 min.  Take out ice cream to soften slightly.  Spread ice cream over cookie crust and freeze.  Pour fudge over ice cream and freeze several hours.  Spread cool whip over fudge and sprinkle remaining (crushed) cookies on top.  Freeze until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10