Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pretty Pickled Pepper


It’s that time of year again, when my family gets together and has a canning exchange.  I wanted to do something that was not typical jam – plus I was the slightest bit lazy this year.  I’d made this pickled pepper salad a few months ago and Andy loved it.  I figured this one would be easy, it needed to be in the fridge – but would go well.  When I first made it I couldn’t find the tiny sweet peppers.  I just used bell peppers – it turned out great.  When I went to make the 12 jars?  I found the little peppers – oh so cute!  Oh… bad Erin.  What a pain to get all the seeds and ribs out of those silly little peppers.  Needless to say – use bell peppers!  They are MUCH easier to clean and deal with.  Anyway… this one?  A winner.  A light refreshing pepper salad good with just about anything.  And you don’t need jars!  Just make it, put it in a bowl and serve… that works just as well.

Pickled Salad (makes about 1 qt)
What you need!
1/2 English cucumber, seeded & julienne
1/2 large red onion, peeled & julienne
8 oz sweet peepers (about 8), seeded & julienne
5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup water
1 1/2 cup ice
1 oz mustard seeds

Make it!
Prep and combine cucumber, red onion, sweet peppers & garlic.
Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute our until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, add ice to cool vinegar mixture.  Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 3 days.

Note: Salad may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10