Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Baking Soda or Powder? Makes a difference...

So… These donuts looks great right?  They tasted OK too… but there was something off.  What could it have been?  Well for starters I made them at 6:30 AM… let’s be honest, can I really be held responsible for any possible errors that early in the morning?  Especially with my girl waking me at 5?  Anyway…
Made these donuts – I had been reading recipes and for some reason thought I needed baking powder, not soda.  I remember getting the baking powder out… did I add any?  Pretty sure not. :)  These donuts came out strangely the same shape as when I piped them in.  Imagine how awesome they’ll be next time with the correct ingredients?   Lesson learned?  Baking before 7 AM – probably not my finest moment.
Glazed Chocolate Donuts
What you need!
For the donuts:
 1 cup flour
 1/2 cup sugar
 1/4 cup cocoa powder
 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 1 egg
 6 tablespoons sour cream
 1/4 cup milk
 1/4 cup vegetable oil
For the glaze:
 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
 6 tablespoons whole milk
 1 teaspoon vanilla
Make it!
To make the donuts:
 Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
 In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and baking soda.
 In a small bowl, beat together the vanilla, egg, sour cream, milk, and oil.
 Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.
 Spoon in a greased donut pan.
 Bake for 8 minutes or until the tops spring back when you touch them.
 Let the donuts cool in the pan before glazing.
To make the glaze:
 In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the sugar, milk, and vanilla until well combined. Remove from the heat.
 Dunk the donuts in the glaze to fully coat and place on a wire rack to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10