Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Behold! The Magical Eggs

Experience has taught me not to make potato salad or tuna shell salad for Matt Boomer.  Just don’t do it.  Even if you are on a camping trip, you made a special tub of each and are excited to share.  Don’t do it.  So I gave him choices, potato salad, tuna shell salad, tortellini salad (with awesome imitation crab meat) or macaroni salad.  Guess which one I’ve never made?  Guess which one he picked?  The Macaroni Salad.  Experience should teach me not to offer to make things I’ve never made before.  Actually I enjoyed the hunt for the recipe and the Macaroni Salad!
When I made it I actually forgot about the eggs… Oops.  I quick boiled a few, and before adding them Andy and I both tasted it… we thought it was way too much mayo or something.  After I added the eggs?  It was like magic, the eggs tempered it perfectly!  I’m not really sure how those eggs did it… they are my Jesus Eggs…. So maybe that has something to do with it?  Maybe not… Still good stuff.
Oh and Boomer?  Didn’t say too much – he wasn’t feeling too great that night – but I’m guessing he appreciated it… I know his daughter did.  (So did mine!  Noodles!!)

Classic Macaroni Salad
What you need!
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 hard-cooked egg, diced
Dash paprika

Make it!
Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Cool completely.

For dressing, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, mustard, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, celery, carrot and onion.  Stir in diced egg.   Add dressing and toss gently to coat.

Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10