Tuesday, January 28, 2014

New House - New local fire department to keep at the ready...

By now you know there is a good reason I keep a fire extinguisher under my sink.  While I have some great successes in the kitchen, I have some wildly insane misses that sometimes end in flames.  Yet another holiday and fire in the kitchen.
I saw these ham rolls online and figured they would be perfect for our Christmas Eve appetizer dinner with Andy's folks.  I made them ahead of time so excited.  When I put them on the tray I used parchment paper, figured they wouldn't stick that way.
I tossed everything in the oven when his folks came and sat and relaxed to chat.  The oven in our new house is oddly placed in the island, no hood over the range and it has this odd fan/vent system.
"Is there supposed to be smoke pouring out of the vent?" Andy asked knowing my penchant for fires all too well.  I ran to the kitchen, stupid parchment paper was on fire.  Then I realized all the bottoms of my ham rolls were totally charred.  The one appetizer I couldn't wait for – now carbonized.
I still served those dang rolls - everyone took one out of pity.  As each person tasted them and promised they didn't taste burned.  So I took a bite, it was a Christmas miracle!!  They were caramelized and not burnt.  Weirdest thing ever.
I will try these again, maybe even make my own dough this time and not use parchment paper... Silpat will work wonders.

Ham and Cheese Pretzel Bites

1 can Pillsbury refrigerated thin crust pizza dough    
1 package (8 ounce) sliced cheddar cheese
1 package (7 ounce) sliced deli ham
¾ cup green onions - chopped
1 egg, beaten    
Coarse sea salt    

Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Unroll pizza dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
Top dough evenly with sliced cheese and ham slices, top with green onions. Carefully and tightly roll up dough from the long end into a log; pinch seam to seal.
Slice log into 16 equal pieces. Set each piece cut side-down on baking sheet.
Brush dough with beaten egg, then sprinkle sides and tops with coarse salt. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10