Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Secrets don't make friends... but they do make good treats...

For some reason my mom thinks I make better Rice Krispie Treats than she does.  I have told her all my secrets but still she buys the supplies and asks me to make them.  She even goes brand name!  Kraft Jet Puffed Marshmallows and Kellogg's Rice Krispies.  Me?  Aldi works for me.
This time around?  We had a weather day from work, well, I did, Andy still had to go in.  After 10+ inches of snow and -15 air temp and -50 wind chill - the city of Chicago and surrounding areas shut down.  Bronwyn and I spent the day in our jams and did things around the house, like watch way too much Sesame Street.... Holy crap some of those characters are irritating.  Anyway, the Saturday before the snow I got something really fun in the mail, marshmallow bits.  Oh you know the kind, the ones in Lucky Charms.  The bits that everyone eats first, even my 18 month old.  Nuts.com (shameless promotion) sells these for 3.99 a pound and I bought a pound.  After they came I couldn't figure out quite what to do with them.... Oh yeah in Rice Krispie Treats.  They were awesome, in case you wondered. 
Oh and my secrets to great Rice Krispie Treats?
1. Use 46 large marshmallows - and always eat one - so you have 45.
2. Spray the inside of a zip top sandwich bag with veggie spray. Turn inside out over your hand and press the goodness down when it's in the pan.
3. Always use my mom's glass white bowl - oh hrm... Call me you can borrow it.
There you go.... All I know about this, yet again too much info, I'm guessing.  But hey, if you are still reading then that must mean you care at least a little and I thank you for that.

Rice Krispie Treats

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
45 regular marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
2 cups marshmallow bits (optional)

Microwave butter/margarine and marshmallows in 90 second intervals until it can be stirred and is well incorporated.
Add Rice Krispies cereal . Stir until well coated.
Press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10