Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sorry... no Cheese Burgers and Pizza here...

My brother Mike is a picky eater.  Really picky.  He survived his college years eating cheeseburgers and pizza and returned home having great disdain for vegetables and crockpot meals.
We had my family over for dinner and I decided to go easy on myself, Chicken Parmigiana Sandwiches made in the crockpot.  When I suggested the recipe/meal to my family, the only suggestion I got was cutting up Mike's meat instead of shredding his.  Apparently he doesn't like the texture of shredded meat.  Um really?  It's the same meat!  Oh Mike you know I love you!!!
This recipe was a good one, I thought.  It made lots.  Even had enough to throw some in the freezer for an easy meal somewhere down the road.
Oh and I didn't cut up his meat, I love him, but I also like to stick it to him sometimes.

Slow Cooker Chicken Parmigiana Sandwiches

2 jars of marinara
2 cups sweet yellow onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped (about 2 cloves)
½ teaspoon dried parsley leaves
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped (about 6 leaves)
3-4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
grated parmesan cheese
4-6 hard rolls

Instructions
Start the slow cooker on low heat.
Add marinara, onions, garlic, stir.
Add parsley, oregano, bay leaves, basil and stir.
Set chicken breast on top of the sauce, sprinkle generously with salt/pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Use two forks to shred the chicken.
Use tongs to grab chunks of the chicken, tapping the excess sauce into the pot before adding to your roll.
Top with a generous sprinkling of grated Parmesan, sliced mozzarella and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10