Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Smoked Sausage + Noodles + Cheese = Awesomeness

Sometimes I make a recipe and shockingly have nothing to say about it.  Those who know me know I usually have words for most things.  I made this sausage and pasta recipe a few months ago, loved it - took photos then couldn't think of anything thing clever to say about it.  Ok this isn't clever either, it's just wordy.
This recipe is easy, quick to put together, uses food from our stock (freezer and canned), and makes for great leftovers.  I love when I can pull chicken stock from the freezer and know the dish will automatically be better because of it.  I also like using tomatoes that I canned myself.  I didn't grow them but I put them in a jar and hope to grow some this year.
Make this for an easy weeknight dinner or a comforting meal for the weekend... Either way - enjoy it!

Cheesy Smoked Sausage & Pasta Skillet

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb Smoked Turkey Sausage, sliced
1 cup diced onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic (about two fresh cloves)
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup milk
8 oz dry pasta (any small pasta will do)
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese
1/3 cup chopped scallions, for garnish

Instructions
1.Add olive oil to a 4-5 quart saute pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions and sausage and cook until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
2.Add chicken broth, tomatoes, milk, pasta, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
3.Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover for about five minutes to allow cheese to melt. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
4.Makes about 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10