Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Best help I could ask for...

Before I even begin to tell you about this recipe, I am going to tell you that I have a LOT of food allergies - like... more than 10.  One of them is to lemon.  I'm not suggesting that you play with fire with food allergies, eating foods that you are allergic to can be very dangerous and could be life threatening.
Well...now that I have that out of the way let's talk cookies.
These - are - amazing.  I knew I wanted the try the recipe as soon as I saw it.  Problem being is that pesky allergy.  When I zested the lemon - I knew I shouldn't have done that but I pushed on.  Bronwyn helped me with these.  She helped dump the ingredients in, smoosh the dough balls, sprinkle the sanding sugar, she's my little baker.  I made the filling and asked Andy to taste it.  "Tastes like powdered sugar."  Well gee, thanks.  I stuck these in the fridge since it was a bit humid out.
I brought them out at my in-laws for dessert after dinner. Found out then that Andy had already sampled one the night before.  Oh... tastes like powdered sugar huh?  He couldn't keep his mits off them.  I couldn't either!  The filling reminds me of Lemon Fluff cake from Wolfe's Bakery near the south side of Chicago.  they make this super light lemon cake, then this light and airy lemon frosting/filling.  It's amazing.  We call it Dutch Funeral Cake since the area we live is highly concentrated with Dutch and they have to have that Lemon Fluff cake at funeral luncheons.
Anyway, these cookies - worth the swollen throat I got.  Granted, it wasn't the best decision I've made, to take my life in my hands for cookies, but I will say, what a way to go!  Totally kidding.

Lemon Sandwich Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1½ cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1Tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
2¼ cups flour

Lemon frosting:
½ cup butter
2½ cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
yellow food coloring if desired

Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and beat in well. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and mix until well blended. Add salt, baking powder and flour and mix until well incorporated.
3.Roll cookies in 1 inch ball and place on greased cookie sheet. Space cookie dough balls about 2 inches apart from each other. Press cookie balls down slightly and sprinkle with sugar.
4.Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden on te edges of cookies.

Lemon Buttercream
Combine ingredients for frosting and beat until smooth and creamy. Spread frosting on a cookie and place another one on the frosting side of cookie to make a cookie sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10