Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Chocolate Slab Pie of Love and All that is Good in the World

If I have a thing... it's for French Silk Pie.  First date with Andy?   Baker's Square for French Silk Pie.  Birthday dessert request?  French Silk Pie.  I've made it sure... have I ever made a good one?  ah... that's been debatable, until now.
For Thanksgiving there's always the typical Pumpkin or Apple Pie, even sweet potato.  I heard of a family that has French Silk at every holiday.  How awesome and smart is that?
Since I made an Apple Slab Pie for Thanksgiving, I wanted to do the same with the French Silk.  It took some figuring and some futzing, but I got it.
I thought I was so smart with the crust, creating such an intricate pattern and one solid sheet of dough - it was great!  Took it out of the oven... all of those pieces were not individual pieces - great. But it didn't matter, I covered them with filling and it worked out anyway.
I made a double batch of filling and oh did I make my mixer work for it.  But eventually, out of all those eggs, came silk... pure chocolate silk. 
For the topping I did Whipped Topping, I'm not a fan of whipped cream, and honestly - whipped topping (while the commercials all say is oil) holds up  better.  I even attempted chocolate curls for the top.  I say attempted because they were mostly a failure until I was trying to clean the pan off and they finally started working.  Bah... a lesson for another day.
This recipe - awesome.  It can be halved - for sure and done in a pie plate or even a square dish.  I liked that it fed so many and you could have a small piece without obliterating the entire pie, a common issue with the round pie variety.
So will I continue to order French Silk?  Of course!  But I also now have this easy pie in my back pocket to pull out and impress people with.  Mmmm maybe I'll whip some up to eat with Nilla Wafers... oh now I'm getting hungry....

French Silk Slab Pie

Ingredients
2 cups unsalted butter, softened
3 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
4 teaspoons vanilla
8 eggs
Whipped cream or Cool Whip
2 Round Pie Crusts formed into jelly roll pan and baked.

Instructions
1.Bake a pie crust or use a Pillsbury refrigerated crust and make according to package directions for a fully baked crust.
2.Beat sugar and butter on medium high until light and fluffy, about 6-7 minutes.
3.Add chocolate and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
4.Add eggs, two at a time, beating 5 minutes after each addition.
5.Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow filling to chill for 2-3 hours before adding to cooled pie crust.
6.Add prepared whipped topping,
7.You can garnish with shaved bittersweet chocolate as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10