Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Looking for tickets? Ask Andy or the police...

Some days go as planned.  Most days don't.  I can't tell you how many times during the weekend of Mother's Day I was going to go buy the cinnamon rolls I needed for this French toast.  SO many times.  And did I ever get to it?  Considering I sent Andy out at 9 PM to go hunt them down - the answer is no.  But that's life, right?  Hindsight - it wasn't a big deal - the disruptions. Makes for a good story.  Want to know what happened?  Ask Andy… I'm all out of tickets for telling that story… ugh.
Anyway!  Mother's Day brunch at our house.  I asked my folks and my Gram to come since we'd all be at church 7 1/2 minutes down the road anyway.  Yes, it's 7 1/2 - you want to make it less?  Our friendly Police Officers will see that it takes you extra longer and you get a fancy piece of paper to go with that.
I saw this recipe for Cinnamon Roll French Toast and figured since I loved both - why not?   I cut up the frozen cinnamon rolls the night before expecting great things to happen by morning.  I opened the fridge the next morning?  Looked the same as when I put it in.  Hrm.  Sure they were thawed, but not puffy or changed in any way. 
I used the magic oven timer - I LOVE the timed start on my oven.  I can cook food while I'm not even there.  When we got home - the cinnamon rolls had puffed up and smelled amazing.  No syrup needed - just use the packet of frosting.  I did only make a half a recipe, since I didn't want too many left overs.
I really liked this recipe - but each bite I took I wished it was just a cinnamon roll.  Maybe it was the frame of mind at the moment.  If you like French toast and cinnamon rolls - this one is a winner.

Cinnamon Roll French Toast Breakfast Bake
1 bag (36.5 oz) frozen cinnamon rolls, 12 pk (like Rhodes)
4 large eggs
1 cup milk, 2% or higher is best
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
cream cheese glaze packets from frozen cinnamon rolls
Instructions
1.Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2.Cut each frozen cinnamon roll into 4 pieces. Some may break and not be in 4 perfect pieces and that's fine. Place into the baking dish in an even layer. A few may be overlapping.
3.In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk together until well combined. Pour over the cinnamon rolls in the baking dish.
4.Cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight.
5.Take the dish out of the fridge in the morning and leave on the counter while you preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
6.Bake for 35-40 minutes. Place a piece of tin foil over top of the dish (loosely) to prevent the cinnamon rolls from browning too much.
7.Let cool for 3-5 minutes. Place glaze packets in the microwave for 30 seconds and drizzle over the breakfast bake. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10