Tuesday, May 2, 2017

2 kids, dog, white picket fence... even an apple pie in the window (oops closed window)

My family is as American as Apple Pie. We have 2 kids and a dog, the old house with character and a white picket fence, even a swingset in the back yard. What’s more American than Apple Pie? Dutch Apple Pie. Why? We are Dutch of course! Ok… a smidge (tiny itty bit) Irish – but we won’t talk about that.
Apple Pie was always a mainstay in my home growing up. Where did the recipe come from? The holy grail of cookbooks – the Orange Betty Crocker Cookbook, of course. I now own two of these old relics of ‘modern’ cooking. I’m blessed to have both of my grandmas’ Betty Crocker Cookbooks, from very different eras but that makes them so fun to have.
Andy was having his last mentor meeting with his guys from church and I thought it was time for some really special dessert – this time – apple pie. Sometimes when you have double crusts the bottom gets all sorts of gross, so I decided to go Dutch Apple. The filling was my standby from good ol’ Betty, but the top crumbly crust – the good ol’ internet.
I was a little worried that I wouldn’t get the pie made but strep throat hit our house and well… I had two days at home with a sick kiddo so plenty of time for pie baking. The guys said lots of nice things about the pie – I even snuck a piece and can vouch that it was good. The pie plate quickly emptied in the days after the meeting – so that shows you Andy liked it. Hey, it’s fruit and pastry – seems like a good balanced breakfast.

Betty Crocker’s Old-Fashioned Apple Pie with a Dutch Crust
What you need!
Pie:
Pastry for 9-inch One crust Pie
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash of salt
8 tart apples – cut into small pieces

Topping
1 cup Four
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup White sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter

Make it!
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Rolled out dough into a pie crust.
Stir together dry ingredients and mix with apples. Spoon into prepared pastry.
In a separate mixing bowl use a fork to combine all topping ingredients until the mixture is well combined and crumbly. Pour this onto your apple pie.
Bake for 50-55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10