Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Internet Recipes for the win! (just don't tell my dad...)

“Is that an internet recipe?” says my dad.
“Nope! See? It’s on paper – it’s a paper recipe!” – he’s not fooled.
Pot Stickers are a weakness of ours – we love them – but wow are they work. I found a recipe that was a deconstructed pot sticker with rice noodles and coleslaw mix to make things easier. My folks were coming for dinner to hang our new house number sign my dad made – he really is the jack of ALL trades – so I decided to make this recipe. They like Asian food – so I figured it was mostly safe.
Of course, now we all know he’s not a fan of internet recipes. Perhaps he’s unaware that’s where you go for recipes these days. But I printed it – so that made it all better! Maybe I should have snuck it into an actual recipe book. Too bad most of my recipe books are baking – again, probably wouldn’t have fooled him.
To be honest – I ran out of soy sauce – so let’s say I had the right amount? This recipe would have been better. Other than needing more soy sauce and ginger – it was very good. Certainly something we will do again. Our kids even ate it. Hey, it had noodles – they are noodle kids.
Even my dad liked it – I think. Sometimes it’s hard to tell. He ate it – does that count? I’ll count it as a win.

Potsticker Noodles Bowls
8oz rice noodles
1/2 cup + 3 Tablespoons soy sauce divided
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
pinch red chili pepper flakes
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon high heat cooking oil (canola, vegetable, avocado, etc)
1lb ground pork
white pepper
14oz bag coleslaw mix
7 green onions, green parts chopped into 2" pieces, white and light green parts into 1/2" pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
Directions
Soak rice noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, whisk together 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, chicken broth, rice vinegar, ginger, and red chili pepper flakes in a small bowl then set aside. Whisk together eggs in a small dish then set aside. Mix pork with remaining 1 Tablespoon soy sauce in a bowl then set aside.
When noodles have 5 minutes left to soak, heat oil in a large, nonstick wok or 12"+ skillet over high heat. Add pork then season with white pepper and stir fry until cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks. Add coleslaw mix and green onions then stir fry until coleslaw is just beginning to wilt, 1 minute. Add garlic then stir fry for 30 seconds.
Make a well in the center of the wok or skillet then add eggs and scramble, and then toss stir fry together to combine.
Drain noodles then add to the wok and stir fry for 1 minute. Add sauce then stir fry until noodles are tender, 3-4 minutes, turning heat down slightly if sauce begins to evaporate before the noodles soften. Taste then add a splash of water or broth if noodles are too salty. Scoop into bowls or plates then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10