Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Cupcakes, Food Boxes, and Anniversaries

Baking cupcakes in the middle of the week and making homemade whipped chocolate buttercream isn’t really the easiest thing as far as time goes. But when celebrating two years at my job – it seemed like something I really wanted to do. Ever since I made the frosting for Nicholas’ birthday cake, I’ve wanted to try and make it again. Since my favorite cake is yellow with chocolate frosting – what better to make?
The week before my anniversary, I received an email asking for volunteers to go to Children’s Hungry Fund to help for the morning. It happened to fall on my 2nd anniversary. I asked if I could go, of course, so off I went.
I brought the cupcakes in first thing. What better treat to enjoy at 8 AM? I didn’t stick around long, I headed off to Children’s Hungry Fund. What a great morning – working alongside co-workers I don’t often have a chance to see or talk to. So great to get to know people better but also working for a cause. We packed food boxes that would feed multiple meals to families in need who live in the local area.
Back at the office – my department was enjoying the cupcakes I brought. Oh, the cupcakes were so fluffy and the frosting? Oh, it melted in your mouth – so good. Even my kids ate some at home! Even Andy ate them and raved about the frosting! Oh and Rusty? Well, he snuck a bit too. This is a keeper recipe people!
I’m thankful for good chocolate frosting, for being given the opportunity to volunteer, to work for a company that encourages you to take time out of your day and to help others, for two years that even on my worst day is better than my best day where I was working.

Whipped Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1 1/2 cups (340g) butter, at room temperature
4 cups (500g) powdered sugar
3/4 cup (94g) cocoa powder
4 tablespoons (60ml) heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
pinch table salt

In a the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment whisk butter and sugar on medium-high speed until very pale and fluffy or about five minutes.
Be sure to stop at least once and scrape the bowl.
With the mixer off, add in cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt.
Turn mixer on low and blend for about 30 seconds.
One tablespoon at a time add in heavy cream.
Once all cream has been added and the mixture is mostly combined, turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Now turn the mixer onto medium-high to high and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is lighter and fluffier. The frosting will be shiny and seem to have many large air bubbles throughout and this is exactly what we are going for. (You can smooth those out on the cake if so desired.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10