Tuesday, October 10, 2017

"I help you!"

Trying a new chocolate chip cookie recipe seems kind of silly. The Toll House recipe is pretty rock solid – why change? I guess I was feeling a little stir crazy – sick kids, no to do list to me means let’s do something different. This recipe has been sitting in my “to bake” file for a bit. Melted butter meant I could whip these up anytime since I didn’t need to soften butter (which often turns into melted butter when I’m in a rush).
I didn’t make these as big as the recipe called for – but they were just right. I used my 2 tablespoon ice cream scoop, scooped out the dough and refrigerated them over night.
The next day was just me and my sick little man – who was on his way to recuperating from croup and a double ear infection. He wanted to “help” – oh dear heavens. He was busy snacking on cereal when I baked the cookies. I used the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookie somewhat instead of my hand – the first batch of cookies came out – oh they looked and smelled amazing. I let them set and put them on the wire rack when they were cool enough not to fall apart when taken off the baking tray. A few minutes later I heard “Here Mommy, I help you!” Oh, you sure did Nicholas! He used his cup and smashed one of the just baked cookies, and handed me the cup. Maybe soon he and Bronwyn both will be in the kitchen out baking me!
So thank for both kids feeling better – Ms. B had strep – again at the same time. These cookies – are a winner. TRUE true winner! Don’t wait until you have sick kids – just make and enjoy them.
Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookie
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 large eggs
3 cups chocolate chips (use your favorite kind)
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
Place oats in a small food processor or blender and grind until they turn powdery. Place them in a medium sized bowl and whisk in the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
Stir together melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth. (No mixer needed – just use a wooden spoon or spatula!) Stir in vanilla, lemon juice, and eggs. Stir until smooth, then stir in flour mixture. Mixture may be slightly lumpy because of the ground oats. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Scoop 1/4 cupfuls of the dough into balls and place on the cookie sheet. You do not need to space them; this is just for chilling. Cover well with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight before baking.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cookies well spaced on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Slightly depress each ball with the palm of your hand.
Bake for 13-17 minutes. Do not over bake – these are best a bit under done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10