Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Celebrating our Kindergartener!

The first day of school, real school is pretty special. What did I do on my first day of school? Cry – I cried. Every first day of every year (and many more) I cried. I hated school. So guess how nervous I was for Bronwyn on her very first day of Kindergarten? Thankfully – she was so very excited, could not wait to go there. She also couldn’t figure out why we weren’t there longer. Oh and me? I was totally fine. Sure I got misty eyed once when the principal told the kids how very excited she was they were all there and how they had been preparing all summer for their arrival. Otherwise? I was not one of those moms sniffing in the corner. Bronwyn and I were cheering! YAY Kindergarten! But what does one do with almost a full day off of work and life when they go to kindergarten for one hour the first day? Have a Grandma day! Yes! My mom came out and the three of us went to McDonald's for lunch, WalMart for some shopping, watched the solar eclipse through the special glasses and clouds, and made Snickerdoodles. Bronwyn LOVES baking. What better of a thing to do on a super fun day? Bake! She and I mixed up all the dough, then she and Grandma rolled them out and into the cinnamon sugar. What a great way to celebrate our 5-year-old Kindergartener!

Perfect Snickerdoodles
1 cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 egg, plus 1 yolk
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2¾ cup flour

Cinnamon Sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325°
Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper, set aside.
In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. With mixer on medium speed add in egg, yolk and vanilla and beat for another minute, scraping the sides as necessary.
Turn mixer to medium low and mix in baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix for 30 seconds, scraping sides as necessary.
Turn mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until just combined.
In a separate small bowl make your Cinnamon Sugar by mixing together cinnamon and sugar, stirring until evenly combined.
Using a cookie scoop or spoon, measure out about 2 Tbsp of dough and roll into a ball. Then roll each cookie dough ball into the Cinnamon Sugar mixture.
Place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning cookie sheet halfway through baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10