Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Bake-ware with Athletic Abilities


Once upon a time I bought a mini pie pan - it's a metal pan with 6 wells for pies. When was this? I don't recall. Why did I buy this? I also don't recall. Where? The Wilton tent sale! I swear that place is like Target - you enter into a different world where things magically jump into your cart and you get home and wonder how it all happened. The Wilton Tent Sale no longer exists so there is no fear of this happening again - they did have a special sale store this fall - but it wasn't nearly as good.
Anyway… This summer I decided we should probably use that pan and make some individual strawberry pies. I did this for two reasons - Individual Strawberry Pies… really is that a question? And also because the large pie takes a long time to set up. These mini pies setup faster and my time was somewhat limited.
These little pies were delicious! I use a pie crust recipe which again - I suck at making. Not even going to share that recipe. Notice I even did the grated butter trick and still, my crusts sucked. The premade rolled out crusts are always way better. I will give you my strawberry pie recipe. That one is delicious, fresh, contains Jell-O, but it's great.
If you want to make this in the winter - I'd highly suggest it. Strawberry Pie is always welcome - at least to me it is.
Now I need to consider other pies for my mini pie tin… hrm… French Silk? Apple Pie? Perhaps it's time to get the pan out again…

Fresh Strawberry Pie
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3-ounce package strawberry Jell-O
2 pounds fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled and sliced
1-1/2 cups water
1 baked 9-inch deep-dish, or regular 10-inch pie shell

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add water and lemon juice. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook and stir until slightly thickened and clear, 4 to 5 minutes. Add Jell-O, and stir until dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Stir strawberries into gelatin mixture. Turn into a baked and cooled 9-inch deep-dish or regular 10-inch pie shell. Chill 4 to 6 hours or until set. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10