Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Inadequate Baking Supplies Brings About Delicious Snack

Softening butter is not my favorite thing to do.  If something needs softened butter?  Yeah... less likely to make it.  I had a recipe all picked out and planned for a girls' night I was going to.  Guess how hard it is to soften butter in sub-degree temperatures?  Yeah... You think I have yeast rising issues?  Try getting butter to be not as hard as a rock.  "Use the microwave" people say.  Yeah - right... do you know the fine line between rock hard butter and microwave butter?  My microwave sure doesn't.  Ugh.
So when I got home and had forgotten to take the butter out of the fridge, and wasn't feeling my finest - you see because I've had every germ known to man in the last few months... I went googling for something else.  Something easy.  Something I had the ingredients for.  Imagine how many cream cheese based recipes would have been awesome?  Guess what I didn't have for the first time in ever?
What DID I have?  Cake mix.  Check.  Sprinkles.  Check.  DONE!  It really was easy, although the recipe I found says you should use an 11 x 17 pan an bake it for much longer.  I used a jelly roll pan, then used plastic wrap to mush the batter to the edges of the pan.  I watched my baking time too since it was pretty thin.
I brought these to our girl's night.  I was one of 3 of the 8 of us who ate one.  Ugh! Really?  To be honest - everyone was looking for savory food and all the food there was amazing.  That's cool - I brought them to work the next day?  Winner Winner Sprinkle Snack!  Yeah, that didn't really go as well as I hoped - but Yes! They were a giant hit.  See... when you don't have bacon wrapped goodness and buffalo chicken dip to compete with you can win!  Ok... it's not about winning.  But it kind of feels like it.
Also, it's good to try a recipe for the first time in a while.  I did do a new crockpot recipe this week but took no pictures but it was good!  This is why I should take lots of pictures even if it's dark outside and the food looks blah!  Yay for blah looking delicious food!


Cake Batter Blondies
Ingredients:
1 box yellow or vanilla cake mix
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 -1/2 cup milk (less is better)
1/2 cup sprinkles
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.  Spray 11x7 baking pan with nonstick spray.
Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl. Add the milk slowly. You want to cake batter to be as dense & thick as possible. Mix in the sprinkles and white chocolate chips.  Pour into prepared baking pan, sprinkle a few more sprinkles on top, and bake for 25-30 minutes until edges are just turning brown.
Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes so the center sets, before cutting into squares.
Make ahead tip: Blondies remain fresh up to 2 weeks stored covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Blondies freeze well, up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10