Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Pork - the other black meat

Some days you feel like you are killing it at life... planning the meals, getting the to dos done, running and running and running to get it all done, exercise, eat right, spent time with your kids, even go to the library. This week I'm doing all of those things but it doesn't feel like I'm killing it at life. Thankfully I had a crockpot meal planned with some ham roasts we had from our friends. They loaded us up with ham roasts since her family was tired of them. We will take all.the.pork we can.
I set it up the night before - as I generally do with most of my crockpot things.
When we sat down to eat it - Andy said - "Did you cook this on high?" Um... no... Sure I could see why he thought that - it did look a tad dark. Guess that's what happens when you cook something for 11 hours in soy sauce. I was afraid this was going to be a salt lick - but it wasn't. Sure it was a touch dry, but the flavor was very good. I dunk most of my pork in applesauce so if it's a little dry - eh, that's OK. Also, the cooking liquid was a good sauce to pour over the meat if you really needed some relief.
So now... back to doing all the things, all.the.things. Ugh. It's cool - we can do hard things and lots of things. Someday there will be fewer things to do - I hope.

Slow Cooker Pork Roast
1 3-4 lb pork roast
1 cup broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 TBSP honey
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp cornstarch
Place roast in slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients (except cornstarch) in a 2-cup measuring cup. Whisk together and pour over roast.
Cook on low 10-12 hours for that fall-apart, insanely tender type of meat. (Or on high 6-8 hours.)
Prior to serving, ladle out about 1/4 cup of the juice in the crockpot and strain into a measuring cup.
Whisk in 2 tsp cornstarch. Add in enough juice to make 1 cup.

Microwave on high for 30 seconds and whisk again. Drizzle sauce over meat prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10