Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Kabobs. What a dumb name.

I wanted to make something with basil - lots and lots of basil. We are overflowing with it. Honestly not a bad thing to overflow with. Back to basil. In the summer I prune my herbs once a week. I dry everything I don't use but decided to keep some of the basil to cook with. But what to make?
I had pinned a recipe for Pesto Chicken Kabobs - Pesto needs LOTS of basil.
That night I planned to make these, everything that could happen that day - did - none of us were in the mood to make pesto and do any grilling. There also was the small issue of the chicken still being frozen... eh... details.
I made the pesto with walnuts instead of pine nuts because that's what Aldi had, and added the chicken for it to chill out a bit.
The next night - I got everything ready so all Andy had to do was spear the chicken on the sticks and grill. Bronwyn and I went off to gymnastics. 20 minutes before we she was to be done I get a text from Andy, while he had been working on the chicken, Bernard the Wonder Lab had gotten a hold of Rusty's medication bottle, shredded it and began eating the pain meds. Ugh. Dog!! Andy called the vet and he needed to be brought in. The next text I got... "I'm locked out." He'd closed the door without his keys but had drugged up dog and Nicholas. Thankfully our friend Chad was able to get there and unlock the door and off Andy zoomed to the vet. They did all sorts of things to Bernard, who has NO shame, and an hour later they came home.
Meanwhile, I had gone to get Nicholas from the vet, we came home to cook the dinner that was set and ready to be cooked. I tried to use a grill pan - major fail. I couldn't seem to get all the chicken to get cooked. I gave up and used a skillet to cook them. I was so thankful the chicken was finally done and so was the rice, kids in jammies, phew! Let's eat!! the beans I was steaming? Nope... not done, the lid kept lifting off. UGH! So I held the lid down with a towel and prayed they'd just get done. Eventually, Bronwyn came in, probably wondering what was taking so long, and noticed the towel I was using was entirely engulfed in flames and I didn't even notice!! Put that fire out, decided the beans were fine. Andy walked into that chaos with a dog that clearly had no respect for the hell he was just put through, bounding in the door without a care in the world.
Bernard? He's fine. No worse for the ware.
Our picket book? Empty - so empty.
The chicken pesto kabobs/skillet - the entire pan was eaten. Done. Very good.
The beans? Andy said they were cooked perfectly.
The towel? Tossed in the trash.

Chicken Pesto Kabobs
1 cup pesto, homemade or store-bought
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
2 pints cherry tomatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine chicken and pesto; marinate for at least 30 minutes to overnight, turning the bag occasionally. Drain chicken from the pesto.
Thread chicken and cherry tomatoes onto skewers; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Preheat grill to medium high heat.
Add skewers to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 10-12 minutes.*
Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10