Friday, October 12, 2018

Wife uses cast iron pan, lives to tell the tale


If you've been around here for a bit... you know I don't like touching Andy's cast iron pan. Like... I'm not even a fan of getting it from the basement and bringing it upstairs... what if I bump it or drop it? Remember oh so long ago the drama surrounding the pizza dish we made that destroyed the finish? For the record that was about 7 years ago and he still talks about it. [eyeroll]
Andy's pan happened to be on the stovetop when I was planning to make cornbread for dinner. He promised it was OK and even assisted in the making, and thankfully all turned out well in the end... BUT Cornbread. Who doesn't like cornbread? Well, I wasn't a super fan of this cornbread. Mostly because it wasn't sweet. I like sweet cornbread, the kind where the top is sticky and sweet. This is not that cornbread. This is the Pioneer Woman's recipe and it's fine. I think if I'd made it and we ate it warm - it would have been so much better. Instead, I was trying to save time and made it early, then did a little reheat in the oven. It was really thin - I probably used too small of a pan, but as far as cornbread goes... it tasted like corn, so a success! I guess? SO if you want unsweetened cornbread - this is your jam... or maybe add some jam so it tastes better.... maybe. :)

Pioneer Woman's Cornbread
6 Tbsp shortening
1 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 450ºF.
Heat shortening in a cast iron skillet, muffin pan, or other baking pan. Combine corn meal, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, and egg. Add baking powder and baking soda. Stir.
Add melted shortening, stirring constantly. Pour into hot pan, smoothing surface with spatula.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10