Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Of tomato thieves and quart-size jars

For this years canning exchange, I was at a loss of what to can. I had thought about some sort of tomatoes but you see we had these tomato pests this year. A black one and a brown one, we call them Bernard and Rusty. Bernard somehow broke the wire ties on the gate and maintained free entrance into the garden and the tomatoes. He would go into the garden, get a tomato for Rusty, give him one, then go get one for himself. (Next year we need a new Bernard proof system.)
I thought about something zucchini - but then our zucchini plants shriveled up and died. Hrm... Ok...
What about Raspberry something? Nope... kids eat all of those, and as much as I try to like them - I just don't.
I landed at S'More Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix - because cookies always are a hit.
The recipe I found said it fit in a quart jar - the comments suggested otherwise. I tested one and found the comments to be correct. I'm not sure how on earth the recipe writer fit all her ingredients into the one-quart jar because... no way... I ended up with marshmallows in a bag - but that's OK. it worked. I did get all fancy and printed my own fabric for the toppers of the jars - because I felt like I copped out a little so may as well have cute toppers.
Baking the cookies was easy - but wow the marshmallows melted all over. I ended up baking them on parchment and waiting for them to cool and get firm to peel them off - that way they didn't get messed up. These are very good cookies - just ask Andy - he ate LOTS of them... lots of them. The test batch, then the batch to share. You don't have to put these in a jar to enjoy them - just mix up a batch and enjoy.

Smores Cookies - Gifts in a Jar
Ingredients
1 sleeve graham crackers (1 cup)
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
Instructions
Break graham crackers up into large pieces and place in food processor or coffee grinder and process until crumbs are fine-almost like flour(or you can buy a box of crumbs in the baking aisle).
In a medium bowl stir together all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
Layer ingredients in quart mason jar in this order- flour mixture, graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, chocolate chips, marshmallows.
Halfway through you will need to mash down your ingredients and again at the top, it is a tight fit. If you wish you can put marshmallows in a separate bag to avoid smashing them.
To dress up my jar a little I wrapped the ring in twine, and cut a piece of patterned paper to the size of the lid. I wrote the baking directions on the back of the paper.
Directions for baking:
Preheat oven to 350
Combine jar contents with 1 ½ sticks of softened butter, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1 egg.
Drop heaping spoonfuls onto baking sheet 2” apart.
Bake for 9-12 minutes until edges are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10