Tuesday, January 15, 2019

One Muffin, Two Muffins, Three Muffins - Oh my.

Apples and Cinnamon are a perfect combo. Add a few extra spices in there - make a good muffin even better. Muffins with a crumb topping with a drizzle of glaze - yes, yes, yes. For my last muffin trick, I mean the last muffin requested for the women's tea - apple. YES, this is one I can get behind. I found an apple spice muffin recipe that was perfect.
When I first was approached to make all the muffins (3 different kinds) I was worried I wouldn't have enough time - so we narrowed it to the 3 kinds. I spend some time a week before measuring out all the dry ingredients, layering them into marked bags, just so that part was done and I wouldn't accidentally mess it up - that happens enough for me to be concerned. I doubled each recipe - so in the rush of baking I wanted to be able to have one piece done and not worry about mixing up my measurements.
I was able to go through one type of muffin at a time, get them baked and move on to the next kind. The apple were my favorite. When I ate one - the apples almost melted into the muffin - you could taste them but somehow they weren't visible. So good. The recipe showed a glaze drizzled on top - but the recipe didn't actually give info on it. So I made up my own. I'll include it here.

Apple Spice Muffins
Ingredients
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar plus a pinch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus a pinch
1/8 teaspoon ground all spice
3 large eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup apples diced
Topping
2 tablespoon butter melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Drizzle
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper cups.
Toss apples with a pinch of cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ground all spice.
Make a well in the flour mixture and add eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla and mix well. Fold in apples. Batter will be thick.
Pour mix in to muffin pan and fill 2/3 full.
Topping
Mix butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of muffins.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until tops are golden brown and tester inserted in to center comes out clean.
Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Mix up drizzle and drizzle on top of cooled muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10