Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Weird Little Fruit Turns Into Yummy Treat

If we are looking for a list of my favorite fruits - cranberries would not be on that list. When I was asked to bake cranberry muffins for a Women's Tea, I hesitantly agreed.
Where do you even find cranberries in October? I was able to find some at a local grocery store which generally has all the oddball items I sometimes need.
When the time came to make the muffins I had to cut them each in half. I offered them to my family members. I didn't eat any - I might allergic - and honestly - no thanks. I've had cranberry sauce, crasins, other forms of cranberry - not my thing. I gave each of my kids half a cranberry - their response? "Mom - why would anyone eat these?" Andy ate one - his puckered up face also told a story. That made me nervous about these muffins - so nervous.
The cranberry muffins were a hit! They were soft and Andy said the baking process somehow magically changed those tart little bombs into something delicious. Phew! I'd hate to think I feed a bunch of women tart muffins. Did I try one? Oh no thanks, I might be allergic! Which is code for - hard pass - still not eating cranberries.

Vanilla Cranberry Sugar Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons milk
1 cup cranberries, cut in half
sugar, for garnish

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine melted butter, sugar and sour cream. Add eggs and vanilla extract stirring till combined.
Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk and then vegetable oil, stirring until just combined. Fold in cranberries.
Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake muffins for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let muffins cool for 5 minutes and then dip the tops in sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10