Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Warm Cozy Hug in Soup Form

January in the Chicagoland area is generally blah.  The weather is cold, the scenery is dull, and the skies are gray.  We try to enjoy every ray of sunshine and glimpse of blue sky we can find.  One such gloomy day - soup was on the menu.  Soup just makes your soul feel warm and cozy, it makes the crazy of the day feel a little bit better.
At our last MOPS meeting - we had a soup and salad dinner.  I brought my crockpot minestrone - but the soup there that I loved the most was the Cream of Chicken Rice soup.  Yum.  So good.  We have a local restaurant that makes really good Cream of Chicken Rice soup - but not much else on their menu is all that great - so we haven't been there in a long time - now I have this soup recipe - so I might not have to go back.
I did a few additions to this soup recipe and did things my own way.
First I cooked the chicken breasts with lots of onion powder, garlic powder, and seasoning salt.  I was baking some chicken for another dinner at the same time - so thawing a bunch and cooking it at the same time worked great.  I chopped it up and froze it for the following week.
Second, I added veggies.  I love carrots, celery, and onions in my soup - so I sauteed some with a pat of butter and some salt to add to the soup.
Third, I made half a recipe.  I saw the giant pot of soup my friend brought in that night - there was no way our family was going to eat easily.  So I only did half the recipe and it worked great in my round crockpot.  I think next time I'll do a full recipe and freeze some for an easy meal for another time - or some to share with someone else.
Enjoy this one - it's a good one.

For 2 chicken breasts – I did two even though I did half a recipe – rather have extra chicken.
½ tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, and Lawry’s Season Salt.  Sprinkle on it and bake for 35 minutes.  (I prob did a full tsp of all of these but I like spices a lot)
Cover and let cool before chopping into small pieces.


2 chicken breasts (or other chicken)
1 small onion diced
2 stalks of celery
3 large carrots
1-2 tablespoons of butter
2 cans cream of chicken soup
4 cans or 2 boxes of Chicken broth
8oz cream cheese softened and cut into small chunks
2 c instant rice
Salt and pepper to taste

Stovetop
For 2 chicken breasts – I did two even though I did half a recipe – I would rather have extra chicken.
½ tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, and Lawry’s Season Salt.  Sprinkle on it and bake for 35 minutes.  (I prob did a full tsp of all of these but I like spices a lot)
Cover and let cool before chopping into small pieces.
Use 1-2 tablespoons of butter (or margarine) and a sprinkle of salt and saut̩ veggies until onions are transparent Рadd these to the soup mixture.
Add soup and broth, bring to a simmer.
Add small chunks of cream cheese.
Add rice.
Simmer for about 30 mins.
Stir and enjoy!

Crockpot
Cube chicken into small pieces, cook with onion, salt and pepper. Add to Crockpot.
Add soup and broth, cook on high for 4 hours.
Add small chunks of cream cheese for additional 30 mins.
Add rice for additional 30 mins.
Stir and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10