Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Spuds of Love

Of all the foods my kids are fussy about - they love sweet potatoes. I mean LOVE them. Thanks to a daycare menu that includes lots of fruits and veggies that they don't normally get at home due to their mom's fussiness, they do love a good sweet potato.
I've been trying to fine tune my sliced sweet potato recipe since I had them at MOPS one night - they were amazing, mine are still a work in progress.
When I was a kid the only sweet potatoes we ever had were mashed with marshmallows on top at Thanksgiving. I still remember my Uncle Art putting them in the oven under the broiler one holiday while we prayed and we opened our eyes and the oven was on fire. Flaming marshmallows!
Andy says he's only ever had sweet potatoes when they have been roasted in the oven - which isn't really true - because I always boil them before I do anything with them. I do think that roasting them with skin on in the oven, then adding some marshmallow fluff sounds amazing. Perhaps that will be my next attempt. For now - enjoy this attempt - they are good - my kids kept eating more and more of them.

Streusel-Topped Sweet Potatoes
3 large sweet potatoes
4 tbls cold butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Boil until they are soft, but they still hold their shape. Layer them in a foil lined cookie sheet, overlapping slightly.
Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon into cold butter until size of peas.
Sprinkle on potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until topping turns golden brown.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10