Friday, July 26, 2019

Mushy Strawberries Need Not Apply

Strawberry Pie is hands down one of the best parts about summer. It's fresh, bright, delicious. One of the parts I like is the fresh berries - they are not cooked in any way so when you have a cooked strawberry filling inside a pastry I get nervous. That filling IS cooked. I asked Bronwyn what kind of cake she wanted - vanilla with strawberry filling. I knew I wanted to test out a new cake recipe - so I figured I'd use my extra ripe strawberries and make a filling that would be stable and not weep into the cake. My fear of putting fresh strawberries into this cake 24 hours before serving was a wet yuck cake inside. I got nervous on this filling - even added more corn starch but it really wasn't necessary. It turned out perfect. I put it in a jar since jars are pretty and it was on the counter. It made more than enough to fill my small little cake but people really enjoyed it. They commented on the strawberry filling - even Bronwyn liked it. Who knew? Cooking strawberries could turn out ok and even delicious!! I used the filling a few days later in another attempt to make Kringle. While my attempt was again flawed - the filling turned out great and baked up beauitfully. Guess my fear of cooked strawberries can be tucked away - because it actually workes great!

Strawberry Filling for Cakes Tarts and Desserts

2 cups sliced Strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tbsp Lemon juice
1/2 cup water (divided)
Salt (pinch)

Place strawberries in a saucepan with sugar, lemon juice, and salt.
Divide the water into two – pour half with the fruit and combine the other half into the cornstarch/cornflour.
Heat the fruit on low to medium until sugar is dissolved shaking the pan to cook evenly.
Add the well-mixed cornstarch mixture into the bubbling fruit.
Continue to cook on low – the mixture will thicken and looks glossy.
The color will change from an opaque light red to a translucent deep strawberry red color.
When thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon or spatula it’s ready.
Check consistency – for a cake filling you can make a bit more thicker.
At this point, you can strain the filling by simply pouring it thru a sieve. Or leave it fruity and chunky.
Remove from heat – Pour into a mason jar. Let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10