Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Ab Strengthening Pie Crust

Pie crust is one of those necessary evils when making pies. Evil because pie crust is not one of my favorite things to make. No one ever raves about my pie crust unless it's store-bought - then I get the "Oh this is great". My dad asked me to bring a dessert to my mom's birthday dinner - I considered cake - but on a warm summer evening (not in a train bound for nowhere), I thought cool pies were the way to go. But again - let's recall pie means crust and in this family - gluten is a no go... so... gluten-free crust. Now, I didn't have the faintest idea where to buy a premade gluten-free crust (I do now...) so off to the internet to find one. I found one that looked promising using Gluten-Free Flour (which I do keep in the house).
The dough came together very dryly. It was just so hard to get to stick together. I wrapped it in plastic and hoped it would be enough. The next morning I rolled out those crusts and wow did I get a workout. My abs even hurt the next day - how dumb is that? I'm either really weak or that was some amazingly tough pie crust.
I ended up making French Silk and Fresh Strawberry Pies. So good! My dad said he knew I worked for a concrete company because my pie crust was so hard to cut. Gee - thanks, Dad. They weren't that hard to eat - just cut through. Xander gave the crust a thumbs up - so I'm taking it for a win! Also next time I know where to get a premade crust that won't hurt my abs.

Gluten Free Pie Crust

Ingredients
3/4 PLUS 2/3 cup (6 1/2 ounces total) gluten free flour
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons ice water
1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
8 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and frozen for 10 minutes

Instructions
(If cut butter hasn't been placed in freezer, freezer for 10 minutes.)
FOOD PROCESSOR: Pulse flour, sugar, and salt together until mixed.
BY HAND: Whisk dry ingredients in medium-sized bowl.
FOOD PROCESSOR: Throw in butter and pulse about 10 times, until butter is about size of peas.
BY HAND: Use a pastry cutter or fingers to cut and knead butter into the dough until you have pea-sized chunks.
Combine water, sour cream, and vinegar in a small bowl.
FOOD PROCESSOR: Pour half of liquid mixture in and pulse a few times, until incorporated. Pour in rest and pulse until dough just comes together, about 6-10 times. If dough doesn't start to come together, add a touch more cold water.
BY HAND: Add half the water, then mix and knead with your fingers. Pour in the remaining water, knead until the dough starts to come together, and the liquids are well mixed with flour.
Turn dough onto sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into a thick 1" disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Before rolling out, let sit on counter 10 minutes so it is easier to work with.
HOW TO ROLL OUT PIE CRUST:
Lay two large, overlapping sheets of plastic wrap or a large piece of parchment paper on your workspace. Place unwrapped dough disc in middle and place same sized sheets on top. Use a rolling pin to press and spread out down from the middle out. Roll out into a circle slightly larger than your pie dish.
Remove top paper, and invert onto pie dish. Remove second paper. Tip: If the dough warmed while rolling, it may be trickier to take the top paper off after inverting. If this happens, leave the top paper on, and stick the whole pie dish in the fridge for 15 minutes. Once the crust is chilled again it's much easier to pull off the paper.
Tuck overhang dough under to meet edge of pie dish. Using both forefingers, flute edges by pressing one down and one up next to each other.
Wrap loosely with plastic wrap and place in freezer 15 minutes, or until chilled. Fill and bake according to directions.

Blind-Bake Instructions: If you need a pre-baked pie crust then bake at 375ºF for 20-25minutes, rotating pie halfway through baking, until crust is golden brown. To make sure crust doesn't puff up during blind-baking, prick bottom crust serval times with fork, or line bottom with foil and pour dried beans or pie weights on top . I remove the foil and weights halfway trough so bottom crust browns.
Double Crust Baking Instructions: Place a foil lined baking sheet in your oven as you preheat it (425ºF). Assemble the pie and place it on baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Reduce oven to 350ºF, rotate baking sheet, and continue baking until pie is done about 30-40 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10