Friday, February 21, 2020

Avoiding Food Born Illnesses with Delicious Pasta Salad

Do you have a go-to pasta salad? I don't. I mean sure I do love my mom's/aunt's Tortilinni Crab Salad and my mom makes a good Tuna Noodle Shell Salad, but I don't have a true winner I can bring places.
I needed a dish to pass for Andy's family Christmas in Wisconsin. Something I could make ahead would only improve with time and could be refrigerated and not have ingredients that were iffy.
Well, my two standbys are out - mayo and imitation crab meat? Eeek... No. So... off to the internet to hunt... Well, I found one, and it was really good! I was able to make it Thursday afternoon, pack it away in disposable containers, then keep it cool until serving on Saturday afternoon. A little stirring up and it was delicious. It felt like a lot of oil - but I didn't think it tasted too oily at all. Fresh ingredients plus pasta, add some red wine vinegar and oil? Delicious!

Classic Pasta Salad
24 ounces tri-color rotini pasta uncooked
1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
12 ounces sliced pepperoni
1 red onion diced
1 green bell pepper diced
16 ounces mozzarella cheese cubed
1 cup parmesan cheese grated
8 ounces olives sliced
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water until pasta is room temperature. Place pasta in a large bowl.
Add cherry tomatoes, pepperoni, onion, bell pepper, mozzarella, parmesan, and olives to bowl. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, add olive oil, vinegar, italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
Pour vinaigrette over pasta salad, then toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Pasta salad will keep for 3-4 days, refrigerated in a sealed container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10