Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Things NOT to make in the crockpot

Meatloaf does not belong in the crockpot.
"Baked" potatoes - maybe do.
Ok, end post.
Well... I was planning to have a meatloaf on the night of Bronwyn's big musical performance at school. My folks were coming and meatloaf seemed "safe" as far as fussy food requests go. I just saw a recipe online where they put the meatloaf IN the crockpot and surrounded it by potatoes to "bake" on top. The timing was perfect, the idea was great! All I'd have to do is steam some beans and bake some rolls.
Right.
I made my normal meatloaf recipe - which I really like. Plopped it in the crockpot with foil-wrapped potatoes and on the heat for the day. I was nervous... uncooked ground beef in the crockpot seems... weird somehow. I was worried it wouldn't be cooked, even have a backup plan to run out and get hot dogs from the hot dog place down the street.
Well, I certainly didn't have to worry that it wasn't done. It was done, DONE, SO OVERDONE. We all were very thankful for ketchup - no one had seconds. It was - so bad.
So here's my meatloaf recipe - just bake it in a 350 oven... don't crockpot it - it's just gross. The potatoes were great! But not so great they overcame the meatloaf... whomp whomp. Not all meals can be great. Thank goodness tonight's is a proven winner.

Meatloaf that doesn't normally suck - unless you crockpot it
2 pounds of ground beef
1 diced onion
1 egg
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup milk
Mix together, form into loaf, bake for 45 minutes (or until done) serve and enjoy. Don't put it in a crockpot... that's a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10