Friday, August 28, 2020

News Flash: No Marshmallows and Kids Still eat Sweet Potatoes!

Oddly enough my kids beg for sweet potatoes. When I was a kid, holidays were the only times we had sweet potatoes. Usually they were mashed and topped with marshmallows, but sometimes my aunt would candy them which made my dad really happy, but I always missed the marshmallows. My kids like them just about any way. We've had them a few times recently with a crumble and few marshmallows scattered on them, but it felt like it was time for something new. I saw this recipe that had a pinch of cayenne and figured I could even handle that much spice with the sweet.
These turned out great and the kids couldn't get enough of them. Andy ate his fair share too. Always nice to have a few sweet potato recipes in my back pocket. Not that I plan to put recipes or potatoes in my pockets...

Brown Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes
4 TBSP unsalted butter melted
2 TBSP light brown sugar packed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper into the butter.
Spread the potatoes on the lined baking sheet. Toss with the butter mixture until the potatoes are completely coated. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10