Friday, January 7, 2022

Didn't like it then, still don't now.

Growing up my mom would sometimes make acorn squash in the microwave for dinner... but only she would eat it. It always smelled to pumpkiny for me. When my kids were tiny and I made baby food for them - because honestly it was easy and cheap - I made them acorn squash. Nothing crash - just roasted it in the oven and pureed it. Andy likes squash! So I grabbed him one of these at the store. Of course when I got it home he said he liked butternut squash better (Ugh) but he'd give this a try. His thinking was brown sugar and butter so I gave this recipe a try... no I didn't have 4 squash to bake so I adjusted somewhat. We all gave it a try. Andy loved it, the kids and me? It's certainly squash... Sure is... we left the rest to Andy to enjoy and enjoy he did. So if you are fan of the edible gourds? Go for it!

Brown Sugar-Roasted Acorn Squash
1/2 cup unsalted butter (4 ounces), melted
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 medium acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each), halved and seeded
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk together melted butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. Coat squash halves with butter mixture, reserving some of the butter mixture in bowl. Place squash, cut sides down, on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven until squash starts to turn golden on cut sides, 30 to 35 minutes. Flip squash, and spoon reserved butter mixture over squash. Return squash to oven, and continue baking until browned and caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes. Season evenly with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10