Friday, December 29, 2023

Apples falling from the sky

About eight years ago we decided to plant a few trees on the side of our house - fruit trees. We wanted a tiny little orchard of our own. We got two different apple trees, a peach tree, and a pear tree. The peach tree started producing fruit pretty quickly but the apple and pear have taken some time. This year our apple tree is doing fantastic. So many beautiful apples, but they keep falling on the ground. Sure that means they are ripe and I know I should be out there picking them - but I'm not... We were sure that was our Honeycrisp Tree - until last night. I was doing a bit of research via Alexa - as we do now days, and turns out... Red Rome trees self-pollinate... since our other tree is a freeloader and does not blossom... turns out the Honey Crisp is a freeloader... Red Rome? Free flowing apple producing beast! We decided the apples that feel on the ground we shouldn't give away... so I decided to try to make fried apples in the crockpot... This recipe worked amazing. I loaded it up with peeled sliced apples and the rest of the goods (doubled the recipe) ... cooked it down until it looked and tasted amazing... impressed my kids - immensely. I was able to get 5 containers for the freezer... which in other news I've been told I'm not allowed to freeze anything else - since we are at capacity any expecting a half a pig any day... well whoopes! Time to find another way to preserve these apples because they are SO good and I don't want to waste a single one.

Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
Ingredients
3-4 lbs apples, peeled and sliced into wedges
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup butter, melted
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions
Add apples and cornstarch to slow cooker. Stir to coat apples.
Pour in the brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon, stirring to mix well.
Add butter, lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir to mix well.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
When cooking time is complete, stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10