Friday, March 15, 2024

Sticky hot fingers

Recently my family went crazy for faux caramel corn that I made with corn puffs. I saw this recipe with pretzels and decided they might like this too. While my kids aren't huge fans of chocolate - they do seem to love caramel. This toffee was a stick mess to make. Baking and leveling the pretzels was somewhat painful on the fingers but we pushed through and made these amazing butter toffee pretzels. I even took a tray and drizzled some chocolate on them - not all of them - just some. They were snacking these off the pans all morning while I waited for them to cool to put them in containers. Now I hear crunching walking past and know they are sneaking them past me. I take that as a compliment. I love when I make something and they enjoy it.

Butter Toffee Pretzels
8 cups (15 ounce bag) miniature pretzel twists
1 cup (200 g) brown sugar, packed
½ cup (1 stick / 113 g) salted butter
½ cup (170.5 g) light corn syrup
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 250°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place pretzels in it. Set aside.
To a large saucepan over medium heat, add brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. This can take up to 8-10 minutes. Once boiling, remove from heat.
Whisk in the baking soda, continuing to whisk until the baking soda is dissolved. The mixture will bubble up and become foamy.
Pour the toffee mixture over the pretzels. Gently stir until all pretzels are coated.
Pour the coated pretzels evenly onto the two lined baking sheets, spreading them out into a single layer.
Bake for 60 minutes, gently stirring the pretzels occasionally, until darkened and dry.
Let the pretzels cool to room temperature before serving, stirring occasionally to prevent clumping. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10