Friday, March 1, 2024

The secret to cookie success... it's not me...

I'm not sure I've ever baked a more flat cookie. Maybe it was because I made the dough ahead and refrigerated it for a few hours? Maybe because I used water and apple cider mix instead of actual apple cider? I'm not sure, at all... but wow were these flat. Also my size was terribly inconsistent since I dropped my trust scoop on the floor and it broke. I spent 45 minutes trying to get it back together and failed horribly... tossed it in the recycle bin and used spoons... LOTS of weird sized cookies. I hadn't realized my consistency had a lot to do with my scoop. I also couldn't get these off the pan. I had to let them cool entirely on the pans before I got them up. Aside from all that drama people really liked these cookies. I passed as I'm not great with apple cider aka allergies aka stupid... I brought the extra cookies to work and they flew off the tray. I'd say that's worth your effort to make these!

Apple Cider Cookies
2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons instant apple cider mix, divided
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup apple cider
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Gold n Natural Turbinado

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, apple pie spice, salt, and one tablespoon instant apple cider mix.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and one cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add apple cider, molasses, egg, and vanilla extract, beat until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat until well combined.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar, two tablespoons instant apple cider mix and turbinado.
Scoop cookie dough with a medium-sized cookie scoop and place directly on prepared baking sheet. Leave room for spreading. This will be a softer dough, so a cookie scoop is a must. Sprinkle tops generously with sugar mixture.
Bake for 10 minutes and then let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10