Friday, October 18, 2024

Cookies to die for!

Mom? What is this bag of lemons for? Um... well... yeah. Cookies. Cookies I have no business making or eating but I'm doing it anyway. Vacation Bible School was coming and my friend and I were in charge of organizing meals for the volunteers. I also asked people to bring cookies for each night for dessert and I wanted to bring some as well... Problem was we were in Maine the week before VBS and going to VBS pretty much right after work. I decided a few weeks before we left for Maine I could make the dough balls and freeze them. This was one such recipe. Don't worry I did not do any of the lemon parts - but Bronwyn did. She zested and juiced for me. I even got lemon extract, 'cause I'm fancy!. I did add a smidge of yellow food coloring gel. I put these in a container, which parchment between layers and tucked them in the freezer. When baking day came (on my lunch hour) I let them thaw, rolled them in the corn starch and powdered sugar and baked them. Oh they smelled amazing. I made Bronwyn try one, she told me I shouldn't. When I was putting them into a container I might have eaten a tiny one. I mean it's possible. Oh man was it good! And I didn't die. I've done some research that with some food allergies if you cook the food item you change it enough that it's OK or OK enough. I didn't push it - just the one little cookie. Anyway - we'll be making these again. So good!

Lemon Crinkle Cookie Recipe
3/4 cup salted butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 egg
1 tsp lemon extract
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 zested lemon
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp Argo® Corn Starch, divided
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
yellow food coloring, optional
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Instructions

Preheat oven to 375° F.
Cream together the butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar.
Add the egg, lemon extract, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix until light in color and creamy.
Add in the dry ingredients (flour, 1 tbsp of Argo® Corn Starch, baking soda and salt), mix into the dough. Mix until completely combined. The dough will be soft.
Mix in the yellow food coloring until you’ve achieved your desired color.
Scoop the cookie dough out into 1 1/2 tbsp portions (#40 scoop).
Roll first in the remaining granulated sugar and then in a mixture of the powdered sugar and remaining cornstarch.
Arrange on a parchment or silicone lined cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake at 375° F for 7-10 minutes, until the cookies flatten, spread and begin to crackle.
Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10