Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Gather all the random odds and ends and make dinner

This dish was perfect to use up all sorts of random things I had on hand.
A garden brimming with cherry tomatoes? Check.
Partial box of orzo pasta? Check.
Boursin cheese from the Hope Store for 33 cents? Check.
Lots of herbs from the garden? Check.
Chicken from the freezer? Check.
Left over chicken broth? Check.
The marinated mozzarella balls I bought specifically for this? Almost became victim to Andy's snacking habits. "Any of those left?" um... no, they were for this dish. "Oh I could just eat those no problem. They looked delicious." Saved from Andy's snacking habits... Phew!
This recipe was very easy to toss together while I was busy doing something else, stir a few times, add a few things, but easy to get together and really delicious leftovers too!
I did bake the chicken a few days before with seasoning because I didn't have precooked chicken but you could easy use a rotisserie chicken.

Chicken Orzo Bake
3 heaping cups cooked shredded chicken rotisserie chicken, leftovers, or air fried/baked chicken breast - shredded; about 1.5 lbs raw
2 cups orzo pasta uncooked
2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
salt & ground black pepper to taste (½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; this will depend on your chicken and broth used)
1 (5.3-oz) package Boursin cheese
3 oz spinach chopped
½ cup freshly grated parmesan
splash of cream optional
1 cup mozzarella balls optional
chopped parsley and/or basil, lemon juice, extra parmesan to serve (optional)

Prep: Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Assemble: Add chicken, uncooked orzo, tomatoes, broth, seasoning, salt and pepper to the prepared dish. Stir to combine. Nestle Boursin cheese in the middle.
Bake covered: Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Carefully uncover, stir in the spinach and parmesan.
Finish baking uncovered: Stir in a splash of cream if you want a creamier dish. Scatter mozzarella balls on top, if using. Bake uncovered for another 5-10 minutes, or until the orzo is tender.
Serve: Let the casserole sit or 5-10 minutes before serving with fresh herbs, lemon juice and parmesan, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10