
We have this wonderful woman at church who will text us during the summer "How many boxes of blueberries would you like?" Blueberries? Yes please! I mean that's my family’s response, my response is "Why would you eat blue food? Blech!" but I never turn her down. Fresh blueberries from Michigan. What to do with them? What ever shall we do? My family will eat them, Nicholas made some into muffins, I decided to try this yogurt cake for Andy's guys. Sure, I needed help with zesting and juicing, but after that I was good to go. I really wasn't sure how this would go over but I try to make a chocolatey dessert and a fruity dessert each time they come. When the kids and I came home after the meeting - there was one half slice left. Apparently, they loved it THAT much. Wow! Nicholas ate the last half piece and declared we should make this one again. Good thing we have more blueberries, and I have the best zester and juicer in town (Nicholas). We'll get another one in the oven soon.
Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake
1 ¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar, divided
2 tablespoon lemon zest from 1-2 large lemons
2 large eggs, at room temperature
⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil or sunflower oil (you can also use vegetable oil or canola oil)
1 cup (237ml) whole milk plain yogurt, at room temperature
1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups (180g) frozen blueberries
Lemon Yogurt Glaze:
1 cup (120g) powdered confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon (15ml) full fat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the sides of an 9-inch round non-stick springform pan with a round of parchment paper.
Sift 1 ½ cups (215g) flour, baking powder and baking soda into a medium bowl. Add ¼ cup (50g) of sugar and salt, then whisk until evenly blended.
Make the cake batter. Place ¾ cup (150g) of sugar in a large bowl. Add lemon zest and rub it between your fingers until very fragrant and pale yellow-colored. This will extract all of the delicious lemon oils to flavor the cake. Add eggs, oil, yogurt and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
Gradually whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the batter is smooth. If it becomes too thick, switch to a rubber spatula to fold them in. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Toss blueberries with remaining 1 tablespoon of flour and then scatter them over the batter. NOTE: if you use fresh berries, then you don't need to coat them in flour.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool for 20 minutes. Then, remove the sides of the pan and transfer to a serving plate.
Make the glaze. Combine powdered sugar, yogurt and lemon juice in a medium bowl and whisk until very smooth. Pour the glaze over the slightly warm cake, letting it drip over the sides. Let the icing set for about 15 minutes, then slice and serve!
If you want, you can also add more powdered sugar to make a thicker icing, but I like this donut-glazed effect.
No comments:
Post a Comment