Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How to be a Peeping Tom... no... how to frame... um... hrm.

So often I’m asked how I do my finishing on my punch and cross stitch, so I thought I’d give you a bit of a how to… You also get a sneak peek of a pattern that won’t be released for several months. So Bonus! :)
I’d like to introduce you to Tom. Peeping Tom… he’s trying to take a peek to see if the coast is clear!
I love creating projects that fit into Altoid tins. They are small, quick and fun. So much packed in a small tin. They are also great for classes.
First off… punch or cross stitch the project. If you have no project to stuff into a tin… then you probably shouldn’t read further unless you just like to read my writing… not sure who that is really…but thanks!.
Trace your mint tin on a piece of heavy poster board. I almost always use poster board, it’s white, it’s cheap and if you mess one up, pitch it and cut off a new piece. You can also use a paper cutter to get nice and straight edges.
Test your piece of poster board inside your mint tin to make sure it’s snug, but not so snug you’ll never get it out again. Keep trimming until you get it the right fit. Test it with fabric wrapped around it too, you need to account for the extra bulk.
Trim the edges and test with your placement on the stitched piece. Then use Spray Adhesive and be very careful to get it lined up. You can pull it away several times to make sure you get it perfect. Once you have it just how you want it, trim the fabric on the project then using masking tape, tape back the edges so the front edges have a very flat and clean look.
Now to the tin. I have a vitamin bottle that I use on newspaper… I stand the tin up on it, and spray away. I use Rustoleum spray paint for my base coat. Sometimes you need multiple coats, but be careful not to use too many coats that you can’t close the tin. Or worse yet…. Not be able to get it back open!
Once your base color is the color you want it, I use acrylic paints, water them down and use a tooth brush to “flick” the paint at the tin. For this guy I used red, orange, yellow and green to mimic the colors in Tom’s feathers.
Once that is dry I use a coat of clear polyurethane to seal it all in. A light coat will do it.
Then once your tin is dry, cut a piece of shipping foam – you know the kind that comes in shipping boxes? Trim it to the size of your tin, then tuck your piece in.
That’s it! Easy once you get the hang of it. And fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10