Monday, December 7, 2009

88 Carrots...

So what do you do for someone that turns 88… Have a surprise party for them? Really? Is that a good idea? Good thing my 87 (almost 88) year old grandfather isn’t the best party planner or secret keeper. My Grandma Dekker turned 88 so we got the family together to celebrate! I asked Andy what kind of cake I should bake – he suggested Carrot Cake. Mmmm Carrot Cake. I brought home the baby food that I use in the recipe… he saw it on the counter and kind of looked at it fun. Held it with a questioning look on his face. “Well, there was something I wanted to tell you…” I said… “Um……” he stammered… “well I didn’t know how else to tell you.” Ask he continued to look strangely at me... “Carrot cake – we are making carrot cake” “Oh!!“ Huge sigh of relief. My mom is convinced that when the time actually DOES come for kids, Andy is not ever going to believe me. :) Ha!

So this Carrot Cake is more… Carrot Bars. My mom made these a lot when I was a kid for different things at school. LOVE the cream cheese frosting. So good!

Carrot Cake

What you need!
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups oil
3 small jars strained baby carrots (baby food)
2 cups flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Salt
Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
3 1/4 cup (1 box)confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
What to do!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together sugar, eggs and oil. Add baby carrots, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Bake on cookie sheet for 35 min. Mix frosting and spread on bars when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10